University of Calgary vision plan – U of C eye exam and U of C vision coverage information
Yes! Most full-time students, staff and faculty at the University of Calgary are covered for vision under a health and dental plan.
Your plan covers
- $50 per 24 months for eye exams
- $150 per 24 months for glasses
NOTE, to allow direct biling, you must activate your student insurance with Canada Life by adding an address to your file at least 48 hours before your appointment. This only needs to be done once.
You may add an address to your insurance file by (one of):
- Registering for an account at CanadaLife.com/register. Click “benefits”, enter plan 330753 and student ID as member number, and complete the registration including entering your address.
- Call 1-888-957-9777 and tell the representative you want to add an address to your file (same plan and ID number as above).
Haven’t activated your insurance account? That’s okay, you can submit the claim using their mobile app or website after your visit and get reimbursed by the insurance company.
Your plan covers:
- $75 per 24 months for eye exams
- $150 per 24 months for new or replacement eyeglasses or contact lenses
The GSA plan does not support direct billing however we can give you a receipt and it is easy to submit the claim for fast reimbursement using their app.
For more information, see ihaveaplan.ca.
Staff & Faculty
Staff and faculty are covered by through a group insurance plan with Alberta Blue Cross. Exact coverage varies by employee group.
We direct bill all claims (except health spending account) to Alberta Blue Cross.
Most employee groups enjoy a Health Spending Account which will reimburse eligible expenses including eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses. This cannot be direct billed but we can submit the claim and you will be reimbursed to your bank account.
For more information, see University of Calgary group benefits.